TURLOCK — We’re learning more about the entertainment coming this summer to the Stanislaus County Fair.
British reggae band UB40 will perform at 8:30 p.m., Saturday, July 15. You may remember their hits “Red Red Wine” and “Falling in Love with You.”
Three of the band’s original members, Ali Campbell, Astro and Mickey Virtue have reunited and have been touring the world.
I read on a website dedicated to the band that the name UB40 comes from a British unemployment form.
The Stanislaus County Fair opens Friday, July 14 for 10 days. Discounted Fair admission tickets, unlimited ride wristbands, and the Fair season pass will go on sale Saturday, April 29.
Spring hiring at Lowe’s
Are you looking for seasonal work this spring? Lowe’s home improvement centers are hiring thousands of workers, including 345 in Stockton, Modesto and Sacramento.
The company needs employees to work as cashiers, lawn and garden associates, stockers, to assemble outdoor products and to load items for customers who purchased online but pick up at the store.
Hiring is underway and will continue between March and September.
To learn more visit jobs.lowes.com or apply at a Lowe’s store.
Sweet Valentine’s Day facts
Valentine’s Day is tomorrow. That’s a reminder in case the holiday snuck up on you.
Here are some interesting numbers from the U.S. Census Bureau about the economic impact of Valentine’s Day:
- 1,364 – the number of manufacturing establishments that make chocolate and cocoa producs. That includes the Valley’s own Ghiradelli and Sconza plants.
- 493 – the number of manufacturing establishments that make non-chocolate candies.
- $16 billion – the estimated value of U.S. candy shipments in 2015.
- 13,765 – the number of florists in the United States.
- $131 million – The value of imports of bouquet cut flowers and buds in February 2016.