The service of the San Joaquin Regional Transit District is countywide, yet some residents live outside the service routes, such as Linden, Lockeford and Thornton.
To that end, RTD has partnered with Uber Technologies to bring an expanded service at a discounted rate to those that reside beyond the county transportation service’s borders.
Passengers can save 50 percent (up to $5 per ride) when using Uber in San Joaquin County. According to RTD’s CEO, Donna DeMartino, the “RTD GO!” promotion will enable people to travel from outside the service area to popular destinations in the county at a cheaper rate.
The service will be available Monday through Friday, 6 a.m.-10 p.m.
“Everyone at RTD is thrilled to work with our friends at Uber to make new transportation options available throughout San Joaquin County,” DeMartino said in a statement. “This pilot program will help increase, ‘The Places You Can Go on RTD!’”
Chair of the County Board of Supervisors, Chuck Winn, was appreciative of RTD’s efforts to make transportation more available and affordable throughout the county.
“Transportation is constantly evolving, and I am always encouraged by the willingness of RTD staff and their board of directors to look for more efficient and cost-effective ways to meet the transportation challenges of our various communities,” Winn said.
Residents need only use the Uber application on their smart phone to have the discount applied. However, the trips need to originate or end outside the normal RTD service area and must originate or end at one of the transit centers, which are:
- Downtown Stockton Transit Center, 21 E. Weber Ave., Stockton
- Amtrak Train Station, 735 S. San Joaquin St., Stockton
- ACE Train Station, 949 Channel St., Stockton
- Mall Transfer Station, Pacific and Yokuts, Stockton
- Manteca Transit Center, 220 Moffat Blvd., Manteca
- Hammer Triangle Station, 7735 N. Lower Sacramento Rd., Stockton
- Lodi Transit Center, 24 S. Sacramento St., Lodi
- Tracy Multi-Modal Center, 50 E. 6th St., Tracy
The program is good for a limited time, so discounts will only apply until it ends.