A teenager suspected of shooting multiple people during the Kenosha riots was taken into custody in Lake County, Illinois, on Wednesday and faces charges of first-degree first-degree murder, according to court documents.
The 17-year-old is expected to appear in court on Friday for an extradition hearing after police said two people were killed and at least one other person was injured when shots were heard during protests Tuesday night.
At least two people were killed after someone shot around midnight.
An arrest warrant was issued for the minor on Wednesday and he was taken into police custody, court records showed.
A criminal complaint showed that he faces charges of first degree willful murder.
Lake County State Attorney’s spokesman Lee Filas confirmed that a person by that name appeared in bail court Wednesday morning regarding “being a fugitive from Wisconsin justice” and was ordered to remain in custody. without bond. Filas could not immediately confirm that it was the same suspect.
Authorities confirmed that three people were shot, two fatally, Tuesday night in Kenosha as riots gripped the city of Wisconsin for the third night in a row following the police shooting of Jacob Blake.
At around 11:45 p.m. Tuesday, officers responded to the 63rd and Sheridan Road area after receiving reports of a shooting, Kenosha police said in a statement.
Police did not release further details about the shooting, including the identities or ages of the victims.
Officials asked that anyone who witnessed the shooting or who may have information contact Kenosha detectives at (262) 605-5203, or Crime Stoppers at (262) 656-7333 if they wish to remain anonymous.
Police said investigators were aware of videos related to the shooting circulating on social media, asking anyone who had more video or photo evidence to come forward.
Kenosha County Sheriff David Beth told the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel that people believed to be in a “militia” or “vigilante group” have been patrolling the streets at night, although it was unclear if the attacker from the Tuesday was part of that group.
A group calling itself the “Kenosha Guard” had previously posted a call on social media asking “Any patriot willing to take up arms and defend [nuestra] Town tonight of the evil thugs? ”
The group later wrote in a post to Kenosha Police Chief Daniel Miskinis that it had more than 3,000 potential attendees and planned to mobilize Tuesday.
“I ask that you DO NOT make your officers tell us to go home under threat of arrest as you have done in the past,” the message read. “We are ready to speak with the KPD and start a discussion. It is clear that no matter how many officers and other law enforcement officers are here, you will continue to be outnumbered.”
The same group released a statement Wednesday saying it did not know whether Tuesday’s gunman had responded to its call.
“We do not know if the armed citizen was responding to the call to arms of the Kenosha Guard Militia,” the group wrote. “As with the murder of Jacob Blake, we need all the facts and evidence to come out before we pass judgment.”
Police and protesters clashed multiple times on Tuesday, with officers in tactical gear firing tear gas for the third night in a row at protesters who had thrown projectiles at law enforcement and tried to break through newly erected barriers.