New York :
Chicken tinga is ideal for tostadas, quesadillas, empanadas, tlacoyos, sopes, molotes and tacos.
Photo: Jennifer Woodard Madera / Creative Commons
Toasts are a classic Mexican food dish. Crispy corn tortillas have been eaten since pre-Hispanic times, only they were not fried, they were left on the comal until they were crispy. They were enjoyed with beans and chili.
Later, with the arrival of the Spaniards, other ingredients such as pig’s feet or “Trotters” of pork and chicken.
The tostadas chicken tinga They are one of the favorites and those are the ones that we tell you how to do. They are simple to prepare, have few ingredients, and are inexpensive.
Tinga is a poblano dishBesides chicken, it can be prepared with pork, beef and even sardines. It is done with previously cooked shredded meat, it is fried with tomato and seasoned to taste until the caldillo is consumed a little, the ingredient that gives it a special touch and that cannot be missing is the chipotle chili.
In addition to serving on toast, you can use the tinga as a filling of quesadillas, empanadas, tlacoyos, sopes, molotes and tacos.
Chicken tinga recipes may vary depending on the region. Some recipes tend to mix with other meats such as sausage and add more ingredients such as nopales.
How to make chicken tinga
(For 10 people)
- 1 chicken breast, cooked and shredded
- 4 tomatoes
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 onions filleted
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 chipotle peppers marinated (canned)
- To accompany your toasts: beans, lettuce, cheese, cream and avocado
* You can adjust and increase the amount of chili peppers if you want a more spicy tinga
- Cook the tomatoes and garlic in salted water. Later, remove the skin from the tomatoes and blend them together with the garlic. Strain and reserve.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat and sauté the sliced onion.
- Add the tomato, bay leaves and chipotle chili, bring to a boil, lower the heat and finally add the chicken. Season with salt and pepper and simmer for 5 minutes until all the flavors have blended.
- Remove from the heat and the tinga is ready for your toasts.
- Heat the beans and spread over toast. Place the tinga on top of them and serve with filleted lettuce, grated panela cheese and cream (optional) and avocado.
There are those who prefer to finely chop the tomato and let it fall apart during cooking. In this case, in the same order as the caldillo, the tomato is added after seasoning the filleted onion and diced garlic.
Chicken tinga tostadas are a delicious preparation that is done in a short time. It is perfect for family gatherings, you can cook it in advance and heat it before serving.
It may interest you: