New York :
Practical eating guide to get the best results from the Keto diet.
Photo: Image by RitaE on Pixabay / Pixabay
Diets they exist thousands of years ago and they are a subject that beyond being a fashion, has evolved over time and in a certain way has been coupled with the modern lifestyle. That is why each decade is characterized by having a minimum a couple of diets that they were very popular and that in a way they have continued to replicate over the years. Such is the case of what has happened in the last year with the ketogenic diet, also known as Keto and that has the peculiarity of being associated with big benefits for health Y body weight. The truth is that every day more people are interested and end up joining this peculiar feeding style, we invite you to know all the details and the best foods to comply with this diet.
To begin with it is important to emphasize the purpose of the keto diet: make the body enter ketosis Y burn the fats instead of carbohydrates for fuel. Therefore it is a trend that has been popularized by the pioneer in “Low carbohydrate diets” and that is why it is based on a strong priority in the healthy fat consumption, balanced protein ratios and very low levels of carbohydrates. Although there are different degrees of intensity To practice the ketogenic diet, it is generally based on the following macronutrient ratios.
- 20-30% protein calories
- 70-80% of calories from healthy fats (such as omega-3 fatty acids, avocados, olive oil, coconut oil, and ghee butter)
- 5% or fewer calories from carbohydrates (which is the equivalent of a maximum of 30 to 50 grams of net carbohydrates per day)
The truth is that it has numerous scientific references, which support the benefits of following a ketogenic diet for to prevent Y to get better certain very serious health conditions. Therefore consume a carbohydrate-rich diet, your body converts those carbohydrates in glucose (blood sugar) and this results in an increase in glucose levels in the blood. When blood sugar levels rise, they alert the body to produce insulin, a hormone that transports glucose to cells so that it can be used as energy and this is what is known as insulin spike.
Glucose is the preferred power source from her body. It is because of that as long as you keep eating carbohydrates, the body will convert them into sugar which will then be burned for energy and this is very relevant, in other words: when glucose is present, the body will refuse to burn fat stores. It is wonderful to know how fascinating the functioning of the human body and also understand one of the main causes why most people does not achieve its objectives in weight loss. It is simpler than we think: the body begins to burn fat by eliminating carbohydrates.
To the skip consumption carbohydrates, glycogen stores are depleted and the body is forced to burn the fat reserves, too Begin to convert fatty acids into ketones, putting your body in a metabolic state known as ketosis And ketosis is the process in which the liver converts fatty acids into ketone bodies or ketones.
In such a way that ketosis relates to a long list of therapeutic benefits most relevant, first of all the brain Y other organs can use ketones to get power more easily than carbohydrates. That is why most people they experience a greater mental clarity, a better mood and one hunger reduction. At the same time ketones are molecules that are related to extraordinary antioxidant effects Y anti-inflammatory, which means that they can help reverse and repair cell damage often caused by eating too much sugar. Ketosis makes the body work with the stored body fat and that is why control in feeding is so relevant, therefore it is essential to consume those foods that enhance ketosis.
The best foods to lead to ketosis:
1. Meat, eggs, nuts and seeds
In referring to meats, it is very important to select the best variants Y higher quality, that are friendly with your pocket. If possible, opt for the purchase of organic and grass-fed beef, wild-caught fish and birds, pig Y eggs raised on pastures. The walnuts Y the seeds it is better to consume them raw.
- Beef: steak, veal, ground beef and casseroles.
- Poultry: chicken, quail, duck and turkey breasts.
- Pork: loin, sirloin, chops, ham and bacon without sugar.
- Fish: mackerel, tuna, salmon, trout, halibut, cod, catfish and mahi-mahi.
- Bone broth: beef bone broth and chicken bone broth.
- Seafood: oysters, clams, crabs, mussels and lobster.
- Viscera: heart, liver, tongue, kidney and offal.
- Eggs: stuffed, fried, scrambled and boiled.
- Nuts and seeds: macadamia nuts, almonds, and nut butter.
2. Low carbohydrate vegetables
Vegetables are a great way to get a healthy dose of micronutrients, is a key aspect to avoid any nutritional deficiency Y increase fiber intake. It is therefore too relevant complement all main meals with the use of the following ingredients:
- Green leafy vegetables: kale, spinach, chard and arugula.
- Cruciferous vegetables: cabbage, cauliflower and zucchini.
- Assorted lettuces
- Fermented vegetables: sauerkraut and kimchi
- Other recommended vegetables: mushrooms, tomato, asparagus and celery.
3. Dairy products
As with animal products, it is advisable to choose the highest quality options and choose those organic varieties. At the same time, the most important parameter is choosing whole-fat dairy products. and grass-fed whenever possible. It is important avoiding low dairy products in fat or fat-free or products with high sugar content.
- Grass-fed butter and ghee
- Heavy cream and heavy whipping cream
- Dairy products: yogurt and kefir
- Sour cream
- Hard and soft cheeses
Four. Healthy fats and oils
The healthy fat sources are the most important branch for ensure ketosis, it is also advisable to opt for organic versions. The best recommendations are the following:
- Grass-fed butter and ghee
- Mayonnaise and avocados
- Coconut oil and coconut butter
- Flaxseed oil, olive oil, and sesame seed oil
- Avocado oil and walnut oil