New York :
Avoiding the consumption of simple carbohydrates is an extraordinary measure to lose weight, prevent chronic diseases and live better.
Photo: Image by stokpic on Pixabay / Pixabay
In the last few months Carbohydrates they have become the center of attention in food, various diets and nutrition trends, however they do not enjoy the best fame. Everything was unleashed with the popularity of the ketogenic or keto diet, what is an eating plan low in carbohydrates and high in fat; that is related to extraordinary health benefits and the best results in weight loss.
The truth is that every day more followers join the ketogenic trend and beyond being a fad diet, It’s about a Lifestyle that promotes better health and prevention of various chronic diseases. In fact, there are currently various scientific studies that support its medicinal properties, among which benefits are even reported to combat diabetes, certain cancers, epilepsy and the Alzheimer’s.
Broadly speaking, the main objective of the ketogenic diet it implies drastically reduce carbohydrate intake and replace them with fats, this decrease causes the body to enter a metabolic state called ketosis And when this process happens, the body becomes incredibly efficient at converting all fat into energy at once. convert fat into ketones within the liver and derived from this more energy is supplied to the brain.
While they exist numerous benefits related to lowering carbohydrates, as well as any drastic change in the diet it is normal for the body present some symptoms. Before we talk fully about these signs, it is important to emphasize the critical difference that exists between complex carbohydrates Y simple. While the most popular question in recent months has been carbohydrates or no carbohydratesIt is key to clarify that it is not a simple answer or one that should be taken lightly.
The main reason is that not all carbohydrates are the same And not all represent bad news for the general functioning of the organism. In such a way that complex carbohydrates for the most part in fact they are considered super-foods that shine for their nutritional qualities, as is the case of: fruits like apples, oranges, berries and melons; vegetables like sweet potatoes, zucchini, and peas; vegetables like black beans, pine nuts, chickpeas and soybeans; whole grains such as brown rice, whole wheat, oats and ancient grains like quinoa, barley and farro.
The other end at the vast world of carbohydrates, are the simple ones that come from original carbohydrate sources but have been highly processed and refined. This type of food is characterized by its high caloric intake and zero nutritional value, many call them as sources of empty calories. To speak of simple carbohydrates is to think of foods like white bread, sugary cereals, white rice, cakes, sweets, and soft drinks. That is why reducing significantly the simple carbohydrates while consuming a healthy amount of complex carbohydratesyes, it is a fundamental measure in all balance diet.
What happens in the body when avoiding carbohydrates:
- You are very likely to experience fatigue and increased appetite: Especially during the first days, it is normal to feel tired and hungry. At the same time there are certain signs arising from suspension of carbohydrates such as irritability and mood disorders, which are related to low glucose levels. This makes Kidney glands trigger the release of two stress hormones: epinephrine and cortisol, which intensify our natural fight or flight state.
- Taste buds change: The body is so wonderful that replace every other weekto the thousands of taste buds of the human being. In such a way that following a low diet simple carbohydrates for two weeks, it’s a key measure to change bad habits and eating habits. Yes, after a few days, a great goodness is that the cravings for sugary foods. At the same time the taste buds of the diet have a direct relationship with the microbiota of the intestine and that is associated with a strong immune system and disease prevention. A diet rich in junk food encourages the growth of microbes who crave these unhealthy foods and displace healthy bacteria.
- Lower caloric intake: Although there are different levels to perform the ketogenic diet, a high fat intake sends the body into the state known as nutritional ketosis, where the body burns fat for energy instead of carbohydrates. This process makes digestive function readjust and naturally decrease hungerThis is related to the benefits of following a clean, low-carbohydrate diet; in which the consumption of whole foods such as vegetables and other ingredients that shine for their fiber content. These are all factors that make us consume fewer calories overall, which promotes fat loss.
- Good balance in sex hormones: We are what we eat, in such a way that the type of food with which we base the diet directly affects the functioning of the organism and this includes the hormonal system. A high consumption of foods rich in simple carbohydrates, is derived in spikes in blood sugar and that subject the body to a state of stress. First, they are filling and delicious, yet they absorb so quickly that it is normal. feel hungry quickly and more cravings arise, it becomes a very harmful cycle. Which s results in that este state of anxiety, decreases our body’s ability to produce sex hormones like estrogen, progesterone, and testosterone.
- Better metabolic markers: One of the first positive signs to follow a low-carbohydrate diet, is that the body naturally begins to release less insulin, which is a hormone that stores energy. When we eat food with high sugar content, it ends up staying in the bloodstream and that is when conditions derived from metabolic syndrome, as is the case of the diabetes and hypertension. That is why reducing bad carbohydrates helps to normalize blood glucose levels already control inflammation.