New York :
The body weight goes far beyond a aesthetic question, is a important health concept and that is why suffering being overweight, obese, or underweight, are unhealthy conditions that result in various medicinal conditions. That is why one of the most important measures in all International Health Organizations, as happens specifically with the Center for Disease Prevention and Control (CDC), emphasizes the use of two detection tools to know the body weight and its relationship with the risk of suffering from different chronic diseases: body mass index (BMI) Y the waist circumference.
Although these concepts are considered good allies To define important aspects of health status of a person, it is worth mentioning that the ideal weight is a complex issue which may vary according to the age, height, sex, fat distribution and other factors. That is why the supervision and monitoring of a medicine specialistIt is too relevant an aspect, however the use of these tools greatly facilitates the work of experts.
BMI in adults, I know calculate dividing a person’s weight in kilograms by the square of his height in meters. As an example, a person who weighs 50 kg and is 1.50 meters tall, have a BMI of 22.2, that is why it is essential to know the accurate weight and height values. In such a way that the body mass index is a very important aspect that reflects many nuances about a person’s health and is of great help to find out:
- Insufficient weight: It refers to those cases in which the BMI is less than 18.5
- Normal or healthy weight: When the BMI oscillates in a range between 18.5 to 24.9
- Overweight: Relates to BMI results between 25.0 to 29.9
- Obese: When the BMI, exceeds 30.0
The second tool important is waist circumference, it is a concept that is considered a very useful method Y easy to estimate the status of a person’s body weight. In such a way that it refers forcefully to excess abdominal fat, which is considered one of the main warning signs in the appearance of various chronic diseases such as obesity, diabetes Y various heart diseases. That is why most doctors and nutritionists choose to measure waist size to diagnose if a patient has a increased risk of developing health problems related with the obesity. TO Broadly the parameters established as healthy are the following:
- A man must have a Waist circumference from less than 40 inches.
- A woman (not pregnant), must have a Waist circumference from less than 35 inches.
It should be mentioned that weight is a concept that is related to the different stages of life, that is why it is normal gain a few kilos in adolescence, lose them in early adulthood and earn them in adulthood. At the same time they are directly related to metabolism and its operation.
On the dangers of a BMI greater than 30.0:
The first thing you should know is that a person with a BMI greater than 30.0, is considered is classified as obese. According to latest projections of the World Health Organization (WHO), at least one in three adults Worldwide Have overweight Y one in ten people suffers obesity. Furthermore, there are more than 40 million children under five years with overweight. It is well known that obesity, is related to very significant deterioration in health:
- Body aches
- Restricted physical function due to joint pain and back pain
- Low quality of life
- Higher rate of suffering from psychological illnesses such as depression, anxiety Y other mental conditions.
- Dyslipidemia (bad or high LDL cholesterol, good or low HDL cholesterol, or high triglyceride levels)
- Development of chronic heart conditions
- Type 2 diabetes
- Coronary heart disease
- Gallbladder disease, such as gallstones
- Arthritis, particularly osteoarthritis (damage or breakdown of cartilage and bone within a joint)
- Sleep apnea (a potentially serious sleep disorder in which breathing repeatedly stops and starts during sleep) and various breathing problems
- Chronic inflamation
- Certain types of cancers such as uterine, breast, colon, kidney, gallbladder, and liver.
Today health is the most relevant issue and that is why this type of tool, they are important and relevant. Know our body weight and the implications it may have on Physical Health Y mental, is a fundamental measure in the prevention of diseases and a very significant aspect in the quality of life.