09/13/2021 at 8:32 PM CEST
The Argentine striker of Atlético de Madrid Ángel Correa described the suspension of Brazil-Argentina from the South American qualifiers for the Qatar 2022 World Cup as “crazy”, that the soccer players in the stadium “could not believe”, when the members of the Brazilian health authority stormed the field after six minutes of play.
The duel between Brazilians and Argentines scheduled for September 5 at the Neo Química Arena in Sao Paulo had to be interrupted when, at minute 6 of the game, prosecutors from the Brazilian National Health Surveillance Agency (Anvisa) stormed the pitch against the complaint that four players had given false information on your immigration documents.
The offense had been committed by the Argentine footballers of the English Premier League –Emiliano Martínez and Emiliano Buendía (Aston Villa), Cristian Romero and Giovani Lo Celso (Tottenham)– that according to Brazilian health regulations they should have kept a mandatory 10-day quarantine when coming from the United Kingdom.
During an interview with the . Agency, Correa, who in that game was part of the ‘albiceleste’ bench, considered “a pity” that the ‘Superclásico de las Américas’ had been suspended and that they had not been notified before that there were four players who did not comply with the sanitary protocol.
The Atlético footballer acknowledged that playing three knockout matches due to the increased number of days of Conmebol’s FIFA date and returning to European football is “a lot of beating” for the players and admitted that It was “complicated at first” when Spanish clubs refused to give up their players, although later – the Court of Arbitration for Sports (TAS) rejected the precautionary request requested by LaLiga – they let them go “without problem.”
In addition, the Rosario striker was very satisfied to have won the Copa América in July, his first title with the senior team and the first for his compatriot Lionel Messi. “With all that he had achieved in football, he was not yet given anything with Argentina. We were all very happy for him “, he opined.
– Question (Q): What happened in the match against Brazil in the qualifying rounds, how did you experience it?
– Answer (R): It was crazy and we couldn’t believe it was happening, that among those people there to suspend the game, the four teammates who had come from England had permission to play, because otherwise the coach would not have put them.
We had been in Brazil for three days, they could easily have come to the hotel and say that these boys cannot play and the coach would put others in, there would be no problems and the game was played. They waited for the game to start and they went in to suspend it. It was all very weird, crazy. A pity because it was a nice game, as Argentina-Brazil always is, for everyone to enjoy and it had to be suspended after five minutes.
– P: The Spanish LaLiga clubs came to stand in order not to yield players to the Conmebol teams, how did you experience it?
– R: It was all crazy, because it had never happened that three knockout games were played like they are played now. The truth is that for the players it is a lot of beating, a lot of travel, in a few days and three games in a few days, then you get here again you have to play again on the weekend, there are many games, many trips in a few days, the it really becomes very difficult.
But it is what we have to do, we are players, and we have to be prepared when they tell us and do what we like to do, which is to play football.
– P: How does a player feel when they put him between a rock and a hard place: between his country’s team and his club, who is the one who pays you?
– R: The truth is that at the beginning it was complicated, but later we here in Spain had no problem, they let us go without a problem. It was at the beginning that there was the LaLiga statement and that, but then they let us go and we were calm
– P: In October this situation could be repeated.
– R: If it can be.
– P: You came from winning the Copa América this summer, how was the emotion of winning your first absolute title with Argentina?
– R: Winning the Copa América, in Brazil, against Brazil and how it happened was something unique. The entire squad and the entire coaching staff that participated I think we have remained in history and it was an immense joy.
– P: And on top of it with Messi, with a title for him, which I suppose was something that all Argentines wanted.
– R: Yes, more than anything for him, for everything he had achieved in football, what he continues to achieve, that he was not yet given anything with Argentina. We were all very happy for him.
– P: Is it strange not to play against him in the Spanish League, now that he has gone to PSG?
– R: Yes, the truth is that it is going to get weird. I personally imagined that he was going to end his career at Barcelona, and from one day to the next he went to Paris, it was all very crazy, but that’s what football has, you never know what will happen.